67, 88270 Vuolijoki, Kajaani. Tel: +358 45 1698987
The buildings in Riihipiha were brought to exhibit the old courtyards of the Kainuu region from the end of the 1800s and early 1900s. The buildings and items show the debelopment of agriculture and the tools used in housekeeping. The speciality of the area is a thatced building, pettulato, made of pine logs whose bark was used in making bread during years of famine 1917-1918.
There is also a village shop and bank museum, and sections that describe the activities of the Lotta Svärd and Civil Guard organisations.
Agriculture advisory work has been carried out in Finland for over 100 years. A combined office and living room tells of this work; as a museum it is the only one like it in Finland. Items related to growing and using forests are collected in a special section of the museum.
The collection of approximately 4000 items in Riihipiha shows what life was like for earlier generations in Vuolijoki and the Kainuu region.
There is a café and rooms for conferences, exhibitions, and special occasions in the museum area at the Niittypirtti building, which is owned by the Vuolijoki Rural Association.
1. The Milk Platform
was jointly used by the Maijala farms from about 1950 to 1985.
13. The Drying House was originally a storehouse. The so-called box drier is from 1949.
14. The Potato Cellar was constructed here in 1996.
15. The Large Smoke Sauna was built here for demonstration and taking saunas. 16. The Small Smoke Sauna was originally in the courtyard of a retired farmer. In the back of the yard is the 17. Woodshed and 18. Field Barn.
19. The Old Workshop is from the Iivonlahti farm from Sotkamo. The building has experienced a fire.
20. The Shed has a collection of horse-drawn cultivation and transport equipment as well as equipment from the early stage of the mechanisation of farming. Next to the shed is 21. Storage and latrine.
22. The Forest Stable imitates a stable used on logging sites. 23. The Forest Storehouse contains a collection of tools used in growing and using the forest. The storehouse was brought from Oulu. 24. Tar boat and Boathouse. The Kainuu Land and Forest Foundation donated the tar boat and boathouse in spring 2002. The boat was built in Suomussalmi in 1957.
25. and 26. The three-walled buildings contain tools from both the horse and tractor periods.
Work Yard continues:
33: Taidekumpu House:
art exhibitions, conferences.